Main Conference 2: Hilton Syon Park
8:00 am - 8:50 am Registration and Welcome Breakfast
8:50 am - 9:00 am Chairman's Opening RemarksWing Commander Keith Dear - Intelligence Officer and DPhil Candidate, University of Oxford RAF
9:00 am - 9:40 am Early Detection And Strategic Deterrence: Nato’s Vision For Airborne ISRLieutenant General Steven Shepro - 21st Deputy Chairman NATO Military Committee
• Defining NATO’s position on the strategic challenges posed by both non-state actors and near-peer adversaries
• How can we ensure the operational relevance of AEW&C platforms in future conflict?
• Ahead of the 2018 NATO Summit, what are the critcal objectives that will shape the short to mid-term in NATO?
Lieutenant General Steven Shepro21st Deputy Chairman
NATO Military Committee
9:40 am - 10:20 am Developing Pakistan’s Aviation IndustryAir Marshal Ahmar Shahzad - Chairman, Pakistan Aeronautical Complex Kamra Pakistan Air Force
• The PAF’s air surveillance and early warning capabilities and investment into additional aircraft
• The PAF’s defence industrial strategy and the role of the PACK in developing new technologies in airborne ISR
• Regional defence strategy and plans for international defence partnerships
Air Marshal Ahmar ShahzadChairman, Pakistan Aeronautical Complex Kamra
Pakistan Air Force
10:20 am - 11:00 am Morning Coffee and Expo Tours
11:00 am - 11:30 am AWACS after 2035Brigadier General Rudolph Maus - Director, Lifecycle Management NSPA
• Exploring NATO’s options for the delivery of a follow-on to the E-3 capability after 2035
• The challenges in conceptualizing requirements of the future
• The need to engage with industry to support the project
Brigadier General Rudolph MausDirector, Lifecycle Management
12:00 pm - 12:50 pm Cultivating A Culture Of Innovation And Rapid Integration: A View From Industry On How To Adapt And Improve Acquisition Processes
• How should current practices adapt to suit more agile acquisitions and adapt to the rapid rate of technological innovation in the future?
• How can the military work better at sourcing and working with SMEs in the ISR space to bring new ideas and innovations into the acquisition framework?
• What challenges are there in identifying new requirements, preparing bids and competing for funding in the ISR space?
• How can industry help to support blue sky thinking and shape the art of the possible for future airborne ISR and C2 capabilities?
• What are the most significant process/technical innovations underway in your organization?
2:00 pm - 3:00 pm Lunch and Networking
Space: Reach and Resilience1:50 pm - 12:00 am Operation Of Japan's Airborne C2ISR Colonel Kenji Minami - Chief Planning Section, Weapon System Program Division, Air Staff Office Japanese Ministry of Defense
• The Kirameki-2 defense communication satellite
• Enhancing communications for cross-domain operations and surveillance
• Missile defence activity and the role of satellite capabilities
Colonel Kenji MinamiChief Planning Section, Weapon System Program Division, Air Staff Office
Japanese Ministry of Defense
Space: Reach and Resilience2:20 pm - 12:00 am Airbus Presentation Jean-Philippe Scherer - Strategic Programme Manager Airbus Defence & Space
Space: Reach and Resilience3:30 pm - 4:00 pm A Space Strategy For Europe: Preserving Security And Autonomy Christophe Morand - Deputy Head of Space Task Force European External Action Service
• Outlining Europe’s existing space capabilities and their role in supporting collective security and defence initiatives
• How will the EU be funding and developing its space capabilities to respond to future security needs, such as cyber?
• What are the main challenges currently facing space agencies in Europe, from a security perspective?
Christophe MorandDeputy Head of Space Task Force
European External Action Service
Contested Environments: Cyber and C2ISR3:30 pm - 4:00 pm Maintaining ISR In A Contested Environment – A Small Country’s Perspective Dr Christian Anrig - Deputy Director of Doctrine Swiss Air Force
• Swiss Air Force C2ISR doctrine
• Outlining the ‘contested environment’ concept – from cyber to A2/AD
• A Swiss Air Force view on operationalising the abstract domains
Dr Christian AnrigDeputy Director of Doctrine
Swiss Air Force
Contested Environments: Cyber and C2ISR2:50 pm - 12:00 am Space And Cyber: Quiet Enablers For Joint Battle Management And ISR Operations Dr John Mahaffey - Senior Scientist NATO Communications and Information Agency
• Intro to Space and Cyber BMC2 and JISR Capabilities
• Space and Cyber Applications in a Joint/Coalition Environment - Issues and Opportunities
Dr John MahaffeySenior Scientist
NATO Communications and Information Agency
Contested Environments: Cyber and C2ISR4:00 pm - 4:30 pm Countering Hybrid Threats In The Cyber Domain: A New Driver Of The European Security Environment? Dr Matti Saarelainen - Director European Centre of Excellence for Countering Hybrid Threats
• The objectives of the new Countering Hybrid Threats COE
• Strategic cyber challenges: disinformation campaigns, malicious cyber activities, and online radicalisation
• What is an effective, collective European response to countering hybrid cyber threats and infractions? What can policy and technology do to support these security initiatives?
Dr Matti SaarelainenDirector
European Centre of Excellence for Countering Hybrid Threats
4:15 pm - 4:45 pm Afternoon Tea and Networking
4:20 pm - 12:00 am Sustaining Global Reach: The E-3 Mid-Life Upgrade ProgramLieutenant Colonel Etienne Ruellan - Deputy Commander, 36th Airborne Command and Control Wing French Air Force
• Outlining France’s MLU programme for the E-3 Sentry
• Integrating a new mission computer, additional and more powerful consoles and a new IFF system
• The enduring need to sustain legacy aircraft whilst adapting to changing threat environments
Lieutenant Colonel Etienne RuellanDeputy Commander, 36th Airborne Command and Control Wing
French Air Force
4:50 pm - 12:00 am The Sustainability And Technological Aspects Of The Alliance Future Surveillance And Control PlatformLieutenant Colonel Nikolaos Oikonomakis - MBA Student, Maastricht University Hellenic Air Force
Lieutenant Colonel Nikolaos OikonomakisMBA Student, Maastricht University
Hellenic Air Force